A drowning swimmers dream


Who art thou
Asked the guardian of the night
From crystal purity I come
Was my reply
And great my thirst, Persephone
Yet heeding thy decree
I take to flight
and turn, and turn again
Forever right
I spurn the pallid cypress tree
Seek no refreshment at its sylvan spring
but hasten on toward the rustling river of Mnemosyne
Wherein I drink to sweet satiety
And there, dipping my palms between
The knots and loopings of its mazy stream
I see again, as in a drowning swimmers dream
All the strange sights I ever saw
And even stranger sights no man has ever seen



This poem is one of my favourite the author is unknown . It is recited by the Character Klimt(played by John Malkovitch) from  the movie Klimt  as directed by Raul Ruiz. It is for me is one of the poems a meditation on the end of life and the transition that one passes through but looked at from the point of view af the fantastic visisons that one would encounter when they reach that stage.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts